Hollywood PR Pro Whacked; Is Randy Quaid Not Crazy?
Somebody gunned down a Hollywood public relations big last night. Grandmotherly Ronni Chasen was murdered in her Mercedes on Sunset Boulevard. Things like this happen in LA, but the case took a turn when police looking for evidence seized computers from Chasen’s office.
- PR heavy murdered in her car on Sunset Boulevard
- Randy Quaid still claiming "star-whackers" out to get him
- He’s not likely to get asylum, but might end up in one
- Copy this link to share with friends: http://bit.ly/anxkeQ
No Known Motive for Brazen Killing
So maybe Randy Quaid’s not crazy after all? The star of Kingpin and veteran of dozens of films sought asylum in Canada last month, claiming the Hollywood "star whackers" were out for him. His wife Evi is a Canadian citizen and the couple are free pending a hearing.
It’s not too often you see claims by an American citizen for asylum in another country. We’re more familiar here with asylum claims of refugees from other countries, and asylum claims from illegal immigrants facing deportation. If Canada’s asylum laws are anything like those here, Quaid’s star-whacker theory is unlikely to succeed. A person might gain asylum here if authorities in his native country were unable to prevent his persecution for some religious or political view.
Quaid’s flight to Canada might be seen as an attempt to escape prosecution in the US. While charges the couple defrauded an innkeeper of $10,000 last year have been resolved, they’re still facing a burglary rap. The couple are accused of crashing and trashing a guest house they don’t own. They’re likely to be extradited to face prosecution.
- Learn more about criminal law basics or immigration basics on Lawyers.com
- Find a criminal law attorney or immigration law attorney on Lawyers.com
- Discuss your community issue on our Criminal Law Forums or Immigration Law Forum
- Lawyers.com Suggested Legal Books
- Did this article help you? If so, please consider sharing it with your friends and encourage them to become a fan of Lawyers.com on Facebook. Or follow us on Twitter to retweet to your friends/followers.