Justin Bieber Off the Hook in Paternity Lawsuit
A California woman has quietly dropped a lawsuit accusing teen heartthrob Justin Bieber of being her baby daddy. The 20-year-old woman, Mariah Yeater, initially claimed she had sexual encounter with Bieber at an October 2010 concert and became pregnant as a result.
If her allegations were true, the woman could have been charged with statutory rape in California, because the then-16-year-old Bieber would have been under the age of consent.
Celebrity gossip site TMZ reports that Yeater dropped her lawsuit against the Beebs last week. In addition, she is no longer represented by her original team of lawyers. Bieber and his team had denied the allegations. Bieber said he would take a paternity test and threaten to sue Yeater for defamation if her claims proved false.
Jennifer E. King co-authors the Lawyers.com blog.
Additional Information on Lawyers.com:
- Contact a child support lawyer in your area for specific legal advice, and read about Selecting an Attorney
- Need a form? Access hundreds of Business/Personal Legal Forms
- Access more information about paternity law
- Visit the child support and visitation law forum
- Follow us on Twitter and become a Fan on Facebook to join the conversation about Lawyers.com topics online
- Download the Lawyers.com app for the iPhone or access the Legal Dictionary