Monster Energy Drink Accused in Teen Death [Video]


 

After drinking two large cans of Monster Energy Drink within 24 hours, 14-year-old Anais Fournier of Hagerstown, Md. died of cardiac arrest.

Gabe Silverman reports on the wrongful death and class action lawsuits filed by Anais’s parents against the makers of Monster Energy Drink. Their lawyer, Kevin Goldberg of Goldberg, Finnegan & Mester says if the company had used a warning label that individuals with underlying heart conditions should not consume energy drinks, Anais would not be dead, today.

As reported in Lawyer.com, Monster Energy Drink contains about 20 milligrams of caffeine per ounce. This means that there are 160 milligrams in an 8-ounce can, 320 in a 16-ounce can, 480 in a 24-ounce can and 960 in a 48-ounce can. By comparison, an 8-ounce cup of coffee contains 100 to 150 milligrams of caffeine.

Anais Fournier

Anais Fournier

Anais’s death certificate notes she died of cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity.

Her family’s attorney claims Monster violates consumer protection laws and engages in false and deceptive advertising. He says the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not regulate energy drinks, which are marketed to children and young adults.

Our lawyers.com video reviews the dangers of energy drinks reported in the academic journal “Pediatrics” and in FDA adverse event reports. Gabe provides recent federal government data showing an increase in ER visits due to energy drinks, exceeding 20,000 cases in 2011. Monster Drinks denies responsibility for the teenager’s death and provides a statement from the company CEO Rodney Sacks.

You can learns more about lawsuits and risks associated with energy drinks on Lawyers.com.

Tagged as: , , , ,