Topic: Automobile Accidents
Motorcycle sales are increasing and with those sales, unfortunately, deaths and injuries caused by motorcycle crashes are on the rise.
The odds of injury in a motorcycle accident are much higher than in a simple car crash. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), while 20 percent of passenger vehicle accidents cause injury or death, 80 percent of motorcycle accidents result in injury or death. Motorcyclists do not stand much of a chance when they are in a collision with a rigid vehicle. They are about 26 times more likely to die in a crash than is someone riding in a passenger car.
Soft tissue injuries occur frequently in car crashes but more serious injuries to the head, arms, and legs are commonplace in a motorcycle crash. Head injuries are a leading cause of death in motorcycle accidents. In 2009, there were 54 motorcyclist fatalities in Massachusetts. When negligence is involved, victims or their families may sue for compensation for their damages. Attorneys who practice in this area can provide invaluable advice and assistance to you.
Best practices to avoid accidents
- Be aware of your surroundings when driving a car or a motorcycle. To avoid an accident, car drivers should do the following:
- Check side and rearview mirrors frequently. Motorcyclists are small and not as visible. Sometimes they may be fairly close or may drive between lanes
- Give motorcycles plenty of room. Avoid following a motorcycle closely so that you have plenty of room to brake in an emergency
Motorcyclists should do the following to protect themselves out on the road:
- Wear a helmet and protective clothing. Helmets save lives. Helmet use on motorcycles is the law in Massachusetts. Your helmet provides some protection in the event of an accident. Reflective strips make you more visible at night
- Avoid alcohol or substance abuse. Rider and driver impairment are major causes of accidents
- Avoid speeding. Adhere to rules of the road including speed limits
You can seek compensation
If you suffer injuries or lose a family member in a motor vehicle accident, do not hesitate to speak to a Boston Massachusetts auto accident attorney. Your lawyer can assist you in seeking the justice and fair compensation that you deserve. Survivors of those who die in motorcycle accidents due to the negligence of other parties may be able to bring a wrongful death action.
Contact us for experienced legal guidance
At Feinberg & Alban, PC our experienced attorneys can help you seek the fair compensation you deserve when you suffer injury through the negligent or reckless actions of someone else. Contact us today.
Feinberg & Alban PC
141 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02111
Soft tissue injuries occur frequently in car crashes but more serious injuries to the head, arms, and legs are commonplace in a motorcycle crash. Head injuries are a leading cause of death in motorcycle accidents. In 2009, there were 54 motorcyclist fatalities in Massachusetts. When negligence is involved, victims or their families may sue for compensation for their damages.