Douglas R. Zanes

Serving Phoenix, AZ

Member at firm Zanes Law

Serving Phoenix, AZ

Awards CV Notable

Taking A Road Trip Over Christmas?

What Happens If You’re Injured in an Out-of-Town Car Accident?

Getting injured in a car accident is one of the worst things that can happen to you under normal circumstances. But what if you’re out of state for Christmas vacation when the car accident happens? 

Well I don’t think that it can get much worse than that!

Imagine the following scenario….you are leaving Arizona and driving to another state to visit family for Christmas. You have a great trip full of great family time. The kids play slug-bug and “I Spy….” in the back of the car while you and your significant other enjoy great conversation. Wow, what fun! Then once you are out-of-state, your fun is interrupted by a careless driver who rear-ends you. Not once did you imagine that this trip would involve a car accident! You certainly did not think that you would ever be injured in this car accident…but you are! What now?

First the basics: It is illegal to drive without car insurance, so you do not want to be injured in a car accident when you do not have insurance. In fact, you will be required by the state that you are driving in to comply with their insurance laws, not simply the laws of the state that you live in. But don’t worry, what really matters is that you have car insurance. Your insurance company along with the other drivers company will work this out so that your coverage meets the necessary requirements and you will be covered.

After the car accident make sure you obtain all possible information that you can. But immediately after the accident do the following:

  • Call the police and also request immediate medical assistance for anyone who has been hurt;
  • Take pictures of the cars and the accident scene (preferably before they have been moved from the accident site);
  • Get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of all witnesses;
  • Get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of all other drivers involved in the accident. I also recommend taking a photo of their drivers’ licenses;
  • Get a copy of each of the other drivers’ auto insurance cards. You will need the name of their insurance company and their insurance policy number at the very least;
  • Never admit fault;
  • Notify your insurance company as soon as possible.

    At Zanes Law we regularly assist people who have been injured in both out-of-state car accidents and other personal injury incidents.

  • ‹ Blogs Home