What is Kentucky’s no-fault insurance law?

What is Kentucky’s no-fault insurance law? Florence Car Accident Injury Attorneys

Kentucky’s no-fault insurance law actually has nothing to do with fault. It is a law about how insurance benefits must be paid in the event of an automobile accident resulting in injury. [Note: No-fault does not apply to damage to your car, which is covered under the "collision"provision of your policy and/or the "property damage liability"provision of the at-fault vehicle’s policy

(Kentucky Department of Insurance)

Under this law, a person involved in an automobile accident must look to the insurance policy on the car in which they were occupying at the time of the accident to collect all amounts up to $10,000 in out-of-pocket losses. As a backup, anyone except the driver of an uninsured vehicle can fall back on his or her own insurance No-fault benefits are also known as Personal Injury Protection or PIP.

These out-of-pocket costs include medical bills, prescriptions, a limited benefit for lost wages, funeral bills up to $1000, and "survivor’s loss of services". The wage loss benefit on most policies is capped at $200 per week. Added coverage (called "added PIP") is available on request. Added PIP can also be "stacked," creating more than the "basic coverage"of $10,000. Basic coverage up to $10,000 cannot be stacked.

If you are injured in an automobile accident in Kentucky you must first notify your own insurance company If you were not in your own car, then the insurance company covering the car you were in must be notified. If you were a pedestrian, then you must contact the insurance company for the vehicle that struck you. If the insurance company for the vehicle that struck you is unknown or if the vehicle that struck you is not insured, then you must contact your own insurance company

Once the insurance company responsible for your PIP has been contacted, they will require you to complete a No-fault/PIP application. This application must be filled out, signed, and returned to the company in order to qualify for No-fault/PIP benefits.

Additionally, you will have to complete and sign authorizations for the insurance company to obtain your medical and payroll records. The insurance company will have to be provided copies of itemized medical bills, pay stubs, W-2 forms, doctors’ statements and statements from your employer. Once the insurance company has all the required information it is required to make payment within 30 days.

‹ Blogs Home