Topic: Personal Injury
Following a car accident, victims are entitled to receive reimbursement for any property damage or physical injuries. However, in order to receive fair compensation, it is important to understand what to do and say when dealing with the insurance company.
Tips and traps when dealing with the insurance company
Car insurance companies know that many accident victims are eager to move on with their lives. Because of this, they may offer to settle a claim for less than it is worth. If fault is in dispute, the insurer may even deny the claim altogether.
To protect your legal rights, experts advise consulting with a Seattle auto accident lawyer who understands how insurance companies operate. Car accident victims should also consider the following tips and traps.
Tips for car accident victims:
- Do act immediately. At the accident scene, it is helpful to take pictures, record names of witnesses and collect any other evidence that may support your claim. Car accident victims should contact the other driver’s insurance company and their own insurance company as soon as possible.
- Do be honest. When explaining the details of the car accident, honesty is the best policy. If the insurance company determines that you were untruthful, it could deny the claim based on fraud. However, only discuss these details with authorities, attorneys and insurance agents and nobody else.
- Do review your policy. It is a good idea to thoroughly review your insurance policy and make sure you understand any applicable provisions. If in doubt, it is advisable to consult with an attorney.
- Do keep good records. Car accident victims should keep detailed records of all accident-related expenses, missed time from work and interactions with the insurance company. A copy of the collision report can also be obtained from Washington State Patrol.
Traps for car accident victims:
- Don’t admit liability. Convey the facts to the insurance company, but do not admit fault or liability. Any admissions can later be used to dispute the claim.
- Don’t sign anything. Do not sign a waiver, release or other legal document without fully understanding the legal implications.
- Don’t let time limits lapse. Failing to comply with specified time limits could invalidate your claim. These time requirements are separate from any deadlines for bringing a lawsuit, but may still affect your legal rights.
- Don’t accept an offer without doing your own research. Car accident victims do not have to accept the insurance company’s initial assessment of the claim. It is always advisable to conduct an independent appraisal of any property damage.
You need an experienced car accident attorney on your side
Insurance companies are well represented and accident victims should be too. At The Jones Firm, we will work tirelessly to get you full and fair compensation for all past, present and future damages related to the accident. Contact our experienced Bellevue auto accident lawyers today at 425-372-7900.
The Jones Firm
400 108th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004
Following a car accident, victims are entitled to receive reimbursement for any property damage or physical injuries. However, in order to receive fair compensation, it is important to understand what to do and say when dealing with the insurance company. The Jones Firm can help.