Posted on October 29, 2010 in Personal Injury
Automobile accidents can cause shock and disorientation. In the moments that follow, you may feel weak and confused. It is easy to make mistakes after a car accident that could compromise your case.
If you are in an automobile accident, you should avoid the following mistakes:
- Failure to collect driver information: Make sure that you collect the necessary information from the other driver. This includes their insurance information, name, and address. You should also write down the model, year, and license plate number of their car.
- Failure to collect information from eyewitness: If there were observers of the crash, write down the names, addresses and accounts of the witnesses.
- Failure to document the accident scene: After an automobile accident, people should always photograph the scene and document what happened.
- Failure to report the accident: Make sure you call the police. If the police to not arrive, go to the nearest police station within 24 hours of the accident.
Avoiding the above mistakes can be vital to your case. If a negligent person caused your automobile accident, you should contact an automobile accident lawyer immediately.
While sometimes minor, automobile accident injuries can be serious and even life-changing. To avoid sustaining a serious injury in an automobile accident, adhere to the following safety precautions:
- Make sure your seat is upright and comfortable.
- Adjust your rear and side mirrors before starting your car.
- Always wear your seat belt.
- Do not use your cell-phone while driving.
- Drive defensively.
- Never drive while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
In addition to the above safety tips, to avoid an injury, you should only operate a motor-vehicle when you are alert and aware of your surroundings.
Mac Greco Jr. is a St Petersburg auto accident attorney dedicated to the practice of protecting the rights of individuals injured through the negligence or wrongdoing of others. As a Tampa injury attorney, he is determined and driven to serve personal injury clients throughout Florida.
Review some of the common mistakes to avod following an auto accident like failure to collect certain information.