Posted on March 31, 2010 in Personal Injury
When the negligence of others causes any type of significant injury in Indianapolis, it is important to know what to do at the time the accident occurs and how to preserve your right to fair compensation for your medical and other costs.
Steps for filing a personal injury claim
- Step 1: Seek medical attention for anyone who has been injured.
- Step 2: Try to preserve as much evidence from the accident as possible. This includes photos of your injuries and of whatever caused the accident (vehicles, defective products, and so forth), items damaged in the accident, and even the clothing you wore when you were injured. Obtain and keep copies of police reports.
- Step 3: Retain receipts for all medical visits, medications needed, and medical devices, such as crutches, that were purchased as a result of your injury.
- Step 4: Contact a qualified accident law firm in Indianapolis. Experienced Indianapolis personal injury attorneys understand the local laws and processes to help you determine what steps you must take to preserve all rights for your specific situation. You should not talk to insurance adjusters or opposing attorneys until you consult a skilled lawyer who can provide valuable advice on how to handle interactions with opposing parties.
- Step 5: Although you continue to be instrumental in the entire process, your attorney handles the paperwork, legal processes, negotiations, and litigation needed to support your case..
How accident law firms in Indianapolis help
State laws governing personal injury differ throughout the country. This is why it is important to retain the assistance of local lawyers to handle your case. Experienced Indianapolis personal injury lawyers understand the specifics of state and local law, and they know the specifics of local court processes and procedures. As your legal counsel, your attorney can:
- Advise you of the merits of your individual case.
- Present the options available for seeking compensation for your injuries.
- Provide legal resources, such as expert witnesses or specialized forensic investigators to build evidence.
- Help handle insurance claims to ensure you obtain a fair settlement for expenses if you have decided to take this option.
- Help you interact with representatives of all negligent parties—lawyers, witnesses, and insurance adjustors—to preserve your rights.
If your injury took place in Indiana, contact the Indianapolis personal injury law firm of Yosha Cook Shartzer & Tisch right away. At no cost or obligation, we can evaluate your case and tell you how we can help. We take cases on a contingency fee basis (no recovery, no fee), which means the best attorneys can help you level the playing field when pursuing a claim.
Experienced Indianapolis personal injury attorneys understand the local laws and processes to help you determine what steps you must take to preserve all rights for your situation. Our Indianapolis personal injury lawyers understand the specifics of state and local law. Contact the Indianapolis