Posted on August 28, 2011 in Personal Injury
Tens of thousands of people are injured or killed every year in pedestrian accidents involving a car colliding with a person on foot. Many accidents can be attributed to the negligence of the driver, though pedestrians who do not use caution—crossing the street against the light, for example—can also be at fault. Children and the elderly are the two groups most commonly involved in pedestrian accidents. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. You should consult a California pedestrian accident lawyer to learn about your legal options.
Common types of pedestrian accidents
There are many circumstances in which a pedestrian can be struck by a motor vehicle. Some common occurrences include the following:
- A person is hit by a vehicle while crossing the street. This can happen at an intersection or a crosswalk, but frequently happens at non-intersections as well.
- A person is hit while walking along the side of the road. This is particularly common at night, and on poorly lit rural roads where cars travel at high speeds.
- A person is hit by a vehicle pulling out of a driveway.
- A person is hit while pulled over to the side of the road. Motorists who get out of their cars to perform vehicle maintenance are often victims of this type of accident, as are police officers standing by pulled-over vehicles. Increased rates of speed on highways contribute to this type of accident.
Many of these situations are also common in bicycle accidents, where either a car collides with a cyclist or a cyclist collides with a pedestrian. Bicycle accident lawyers in California can assist with these cases.
Causes of pedestrian accidents
Circumstances surrounding pedestrian accidents are sometimes complicated. It is not always clear who is at fault, but contributing factors may include the following:
- Negligence or inattention of the driver
- Failure of the driver to follow traffic laws
- Intoxication of the driver
- Carelessness of the pedestrian
Depending on the situation, both the driver and the pedestrian may bear responsibility for the accident.
Injuries from pedestrian accidents
Pedestrian accidents often lead to devastating injuries or death. Some injuries that occur frequently in pedestrian accidents include the following:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Brain injuries
- Fractured bones
These types of injuries require immediate medical intervention and can often lead to a long recovery period, lengthy rehabilitation, or, in some cases, a lifetime of disability. If you have been injured in an accident, you should contact an attorney right away for help recovering compensation for your injuries.
Representation for pedestrian accidents
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, contact the Biegel Law Firm today to speak with a California accident lawyer. We accept accident cases on a contingency basis. You do not have to pay any upfront costs for taking your case to court, and our firm will get paid only if you are awarded a monetary judgment. Call our offices at (877) 223-8082 to schedule your free case evaluation.
Biegel Law Firm
2801 Salinas Hwy # A
Monterey, CA 93940-6401
Tens of thousands of people are injured or killed every year in pedestrian accidents involving a car colliding with a person on foot. Many accidents can be attributed to the negligence of the driver, though pedestrians who do not use caution—crossing the street against the light, for example—can also be at fault. Children and the elderly are the two groups most commonly involved in pedestrian accidents.