Posted on October 22, 2010 in Personal Injury
In addition to unpaid medical expenses, lost wages, and other economic losses, serious personal injuries often result in enormous intangible human losses such as mental and physical pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of capacity for the enjoyment of life, disfigurement and loss of the ability to lead a normal life. If you are injured due to the wrongful acts or omissions of another, you should contact a personal injury law firm because you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit.
If you are injured due to the wrongful acts or omissions of another, you are entitled to be compensated for the economic and non-economic harm you have experienced.
Injury claim or lawsuit
After being injured, you may feel shocked, confused, and unsure of what to do next. A skilled attorney can help you make the right decision and receive the compensation you are entitled to.
The steps for pursuing a personal injury matter include the following:
- Seek immediate medical attention at a hospital emergency room: It is critical to the success of your case to be able to immediately document the portions of your body injured in the incident. Insurance companies often try to defend a case by pointing to the lack of immediate medical care.
- Meet with your attorney: You should sit down with your attorney and discuss your case. Your lawyer will put you at ease and talk about the strategy for winning your case.
- Pre-suit demand: Once you have reached maximum medical improvement and your attorney has determined the limits of all available insurance coverage, your attorney will meet with you and agree on the amount of a reasonable settlement demand in an effort to get the case resolved without the need for litigation.
- Complaint: In the event you are unsuccessful in resolving the case pre-suit, filing a Complaint is the initial stage of filing a lawsuit where you name the parties you are suing and explain your reasons.
- The answer: The defendants will respond to your claim with a written response explaining their position in the matter.
- The discovery: At this point in your personal injury law suit, you and the defendant will be questioned under oath. Any witnesses will be questioned. Your attorney and the attorney of the defendant will exchange the documents and materials to be used at trial.
- Settlement or trial: After the discovery has begun, your lawyer and the representation of defendant will discuss the possibility of a settlement outside of court. If no settlement is reached, the case will go to trial.
At Mac A. Greco, Jr., P.A., we are Tampa injury attorneys dedicated to the practice of protecting the rights of individuals injured through the wrongful acts or omissions of others. Visit our office at 501 North Morgan Street, Suite 200, Tampa, Florida 33602. Mac A. Greco, Jr., Tampa personal injury lawyer is determined and driven, serve personal injury clients in Tampa,St. Petersburg, and throughout the State of Florida.
In addition to unpaid medical expenses, lost wages, and other economic losses, serious personal injuries often result in enormous intangible human losses.