Posted on June 29, 2015 in Personal Injury
Flip-flops have become a summer staple for many; however, many individuals do not think about the long term effects of wearing shoes with a lack of support. Although flip flops feel comfortable to wear, medical experts report that they can cause serious foot, hip, and back injuries. The lack of support can cause severe problems in the arch and heel of the foot and bone problems such as bone spurs. Moreover, podiatrists report that wearing flip-flops leaves an individual’s feet unprotected and exposed to the elements, which can lead to blisters, viral infections, and injuries.
Although, podiatrists warn against the dangers of wearing flip-flops, they also serve a purpose. They provide protection for the bottom of the foot when walking around the pool or hot surfaces such as the beach in the summer. According to foot specialists, they can also help prevent athlete’s foot or planters warts in public showers. Medical experts report that having flip-flops on for short periods of time will not cause harm but when unexplained pain develops in parts of the body, such as the back, it is important to consider your feet as possible source.
The following are some safety tips when wearing flip-flops this summer.
- Wearing flip-flops while driving can increase the risk of having a car accident should they slip off the driver’s foot and get stuck under gas or brake pedal. It is important that while driving footwear is sturdy and secure on the foot.
- Do not run or play sports in flip-flops. This can lead to ankle or foot, sprains and breaks. Choose a supportive shoe for walking long distances, playing sports, or yard work.
- Switch to shoes with arch support during the day to minimize the risk of foot pain.
- Apply sunscreen to exposed areas on the feet while wearing flip-flops to reduce risk of sunburn and harmful UV rays.
- Shop for flip-flops made of high quality soft leather, which can minimize the risk for blisters and skin irritations.
Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyers at Jay L. Edelstein, Attorney At Law Provide Aggressive Legal Representation for Personal Injury Cases
Philadelphia personal injury lawyers at the Law Offices of Jay L. Edelstein serve clients who are injured in all types of personal injury cases. Our experienced personal injury lawyers are knowledgeable in premises liability lawsuits and slip & fall injuries and can help you receive the maximum compensation that you are entitled to under the law. Our offices are located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and we represent clients in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. To discuss your case, call us today at 215-893-9311 or 856-809-3150 or contact us online.
Flip-flops have become a summer staple for many; however, many individuals do not think about the long term effects of wearing shoes with a lack of support.