Posted on November 24, 2009 in Personal Injury
The New York City Accident Lawyers of Antin, Ehrlich & Epstein remind you that if you have suffered an accident injury in New York City, your first step should be to make sure you are physically alright. If not, ask someone to call for an ambulance or seek medical attention as soon as you are able to do so.
If you are physically able, find out if anyone else in your vehicle needs medical attention and, if so, call for help. Then, if any other vehicles were involved, see if anyone in any of those vehicles needs medical attention and call for help if necessary.
Some steps to follow
Your next steps should include the following:
- If you are able to do so safely, get out of traffic so that no one else gets hurt and so that you do not get hurt again.
- Call the police to come to the scene of the accident. However, due to traffic congestion or other pressing police business, the police cannot always get there. Explain the situation to them on the telephone and follow their directions. If they say they will come, wait for them.
- Observe the scene and try to remember how the accident happened. Do not discuss it with anyone but the police. If the police tell you they cannot get to the scene, they will probably tell you how to report the accident later. Follow their directions and report the accident as soon as possible.
- If you have a camera and can do so safely, take pictures of the scene. Get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of anyone else who was involved in the accident and, if possible, anyone who witnessed it. If another vehicle was involved, get the license plate number along with the make, model, color and type of vehicle, along with insurance information for the driver and owner of the vehicle. It is wise to keep a pen or pencil and some paper in your car for such purposes.
- State law requires you to have automobile insurance and to carry proof of it with you or in your vehicle. If asked, you should cooperate and disclose your name, address, phone number, and insurance information with anyone else involved in the accident. Again, there is no need to discuss how the accident happened or whose fault it was with anyone but the police. Do not make any apologies or admissions of fault at the scene.
- Finally, after you have attended to your immediate health care needs, call a good accident law firm in New York City and make an appointment to discuss your case as soon as you are able to do so.
Let Us Help
At Antin, Ehrlich & Epstein, our accident attorneys in New York City do not charge you for an initial appointment and evaluation. If you have case, we can represent you on a contingent fee basis. You owe no attorney fees unless and until we obtain a recovery for you.
The New York City Accident Lawyers of Antin, Ehrlich & Epstein remind you that if you have suffered an accident injury in New York City, your first step should be to make sure you are physically alright.